ccTLDs (was Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on remaining questions)

> > Wait...there've been stability issues with adding new TLDs to the root
> > over the past few years?  When did this occur?
>
> Lots of them. Or do you think that all ccTLDs are in a stable and uniform
> situation? Many of them are in a mess. ".tm" is on hold... No registrations
> are in ".re", ".ht" was thrown around for a while, questions were placed
> about the Libian TLD... etc etc etc...
> Stability is not just the question of what is in the root-zone, but a lot
> more than that. If any of what has happened to those ccTLDs I have just
> mentioned had happened to com/net/org/edu/mil/arpa... there would have been
> outrage.
> We are looking at adding a system that has to be workable, not something
> that is delegating responsability and authority for everything and then
> looking the other way with the excuse of "it's not our problem anymore".
> Will registries work in a cooperative way with registrars, will the
> registry<->registrar software work, will coordination on the zone files of
> those TLDs be done in a timely manner? (as any ccTLD zone contact can tell
> you, getting an update to the nameservers of the ccTLD that you are contact
> for is a royal pain in the butt...). Would any of this give merit to stop
> everything? Probably not, but it mike slow down the idea of suddenly adding
> another 2000 in one go. The reason you do a test is because you forsee
> different situations that you're not entirely sure of what will happen (if
> you were 100% sure, you wouldn't need to test, would you?).
>
> Yours, John Broomfield.

==> You have a point about ccTLDs and completely non-transparent
    situation about many of them. This includes not only inaccurate
    information about some Admin Contact (or Technical / Zone Contact).
    Many of this contacts are just nicknames. Some postal addresses
    and provided phone numbers are false (you can end up to discuss
    with an old grand-ma not knowing anything about Internet,
    much less that her phone number is recorded as Admin Contact).

    More, the registry for XX country/territory may be in YY country.
    The legal (legal towards *country* name) situation of some
    ccTLD registries is unknown. If and where some pay corporate
    taxes is a mistery. Under which law some operate is yet another
    mistery. How some get a ccTLD management from IANA is yet
    another well kept secret story.

    The number of added ccTLDs per annum follows.
       YY     Nb ccTLDs created    Total
       85             3             3
       86             7            10
       87             9            19
       88             9            28
       89             8            36
       90            11            47
       91            22            69
       92            17            86
       93            23           109
       94            22           131
       95            29           160
       96            31           191
       97            47           238
       98             2           240
    (240 includes .ZR (Zaire), changing its name to .CD (Congo))

    Elisabeth Porteneuve