Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on

> > I agree that if a few gTLDs are added, having them all run by the same
> > registry company would not be good, at least politically... CORE is an
> > association of REGISTRARS. They don't give a damn who runs a TLD as long
> as
> > they can do registrar services for that TLD.
>
> Fine. Image Online Design will not be a registrar, but will, instead,
> run the .web registry. CORE may be the registrars, since they
> don't give a damn who runs the TLD.
>
> Your logic.
> Christopher

I'm not CORE, not even a CORE member, and despite what many think, not even
a CORE apologist, and if IOD were to be granted the ".web" registry, then the
CORE registrars would probably be more than happy, from a commercial point of
view, to be registering names in there.
That's just the financial aspect. That earns them money.
There are, however, people who have their own feeling about how things
*should* be run, and look beyond the tip of their nose, or the financial
benefit of their companies.
I for one, would be very pissed off if IOD was just "granted" '.web' in the
legacy roots. If IOD were to win a competitive tender, then why not. I do
believe that the tender should be re-bid on a periodic period (much like
what should happen with com/net/org which was a 5 year contract, despite
NSI claiming the contrary).

Yours, John Broomfield.