RE: [wg-c] GTLD Straw poll

Actually, I agree that Ross has hit the nail on the head here. One key
issues that keeps cropping up (and which none of us ever resolve) is
exactly this one. I am under the impression tht I own my own name. But,
under trademark law, one doesn't own the trademark ( the US PTO does and
the trademark holder is licensed the name under conditions that are only
subtly different from ownership). If we look carefully, and considering
NSI policies over the years, it appears that we only own our DNS names
under the same sort of license.

There are two sorts of model that fit current DNS practice; One states
that we own our names and pay a registry (NSI) to publish them under a
TLD. For this we pay a regular fee. The other states that we do not own
our own names and rent them from the TLD registry. If you can think of a
third, that fits current practice, I'd be real interested.

To my mind, this is the key question that should be polled. Many of us,
working for introducing new gTLDs, are off the former opinion. Those
opposed seem to be of the latter, but this is indeterminate. There are
many key concepts that are derived from these opposing views. Both camps
seem to be inconsistant, however. In this, Ross is right, there should
be no equivocation here. One can not own, in one instant, something
which one rents, in another instant. Neither the law nor reality works
that way.