RE: Confusing the DNS (was: Re: [wg-c] Straw Vote)

> The need for centralized management of the DNS is due to its
> hierarchical
> nature.  This is a matter of technical basis and isn't
> subject to political
> adjustment.

I both agree and disagree. DNS isn't perforce hierarchical, as dlbDNS
seems to indicate. It is a configuration issue. Karl and I have been
talking about multi-part roots and heuristics involved in building a
root search capability into BIND. This also answers the reasons that
there are only 13 root servers (which was an architectural performance
issue, on a VAX, and not a technical limitation of the code, BTW). After
I finish my NICNAMES suite (whois, total redesign/rewrite), I'll look at
BIND again.