RE: [wg-c] Competition policy and gTLDs

Time to catch up - I'm afraid I've been away on business and latterly on
vacation.

Thank you Milton for you remarks; sorry you couldn't agree.

I agree with the concept of elasticity but I suggest that we need to
distinguish between competition for a given primary resource versus that for
a differentiated product and also the distribution channels for that product
(and its competitors) - I can't buy a Subaru Legacy made by Ford, but I can
buy a Subaru Legacy from a range of car dealers.

In this case I see the gTLD as the primary resource which offers particular
added value according to its designation; I would not go to .shop for legal
advice whereas I might expect .law to be the primary source for legal
advice. That would not diminish the significance of a citizens' advice
bureau at .co.uk but would narrow the search activity, which surely is a
primary objective of intuitive domain name structures ?

I suggest that we also need to consider the ergonomics of domain name
structures rather than just the market dynamics and regulatory controls.

Regards

John C Lewis
Manager - International Organisations Europe
BT delegate ETNO Executive Board
BT delegate EURODATA Foundation Board
Tel: +44 (0) 1442 295258 Mob: +44 (0) 802 218271