Re[2]: [wg-c] "Public" resources -Reply

Thursday, August 12, 1999, 11:33:28 PM, Roeland M.J. Meyer <rmeyer@mhsc.com> wrote:

> My understanding of the law, and I am very sure one of the lawyers will
> correct me if I'm wrong, says htat a trademark holder, if they should
> decide to stop using a trademarked TLD, can actually prevent ANYONE else
> from taking up the reigns of that tmTLD without explicit permission.

That would be covered by the contractual obligation in order to get
into the root, a condition I think is perfectly reasonable.

Should they decide to discontinue operating the TLD or not meet other
operational standards set out in the contract, then they agree they
will transfer the TLD and all associated IP for reassignment.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org