Re: [wg-c] trademark law & new gTLDs

1.  Your analysis ignores dilution law and the Panavision case (the previos
poster did not limit his comment to infringement).  The general direction
of case law is not the opposite - Mr. Connolly's statement is correct.

2.  Your discussion of the PTO's standard for what constitutes a proper
specimen is inapposite.  The test for use of a mark for purposes of
registration with the PTO is a narrower standard than use under Sections
32, 43(a) and 43(c) of the Lanham Act (standards of use differ in other
countries as well).  That is why mere unauthorized reproduction of a mark
in an advertisement for goods may constitute infringemnt or dilution but
would not constitute an acceptable specimen of use for purposes of a
trademark application.