Re[4]: [wg-c] Eureka?

Monday, August 09, 1999, 10:01:34 PM, Ross Wm. Rader <ross@ebarn.com> wrote:

>>You are assuming the name space is scarce, and then making policy
>>decisions based on that assumption.  Take a step back and lets address
>>the issue of scarcity, because there is a broad diversity of opinion
>>on that point, and without that point, your entire argument falls
>>apart.
>>
>>[not that you will see this, Javier, your filters will prevent that.
>>Then you have a justification for trying to explain why you ignored
>>perfectly valid discourse.]

> Let's step back from the issue of scarce resources - something that there
> has been a reasonable amount of debate about with little forward movement
> (myself included...)

Well, the problem with doing that is that this is the primary
justification for the proposals being made by Javier, the CORE
factions, and indeed by yourself below.

>> In no case the choice of gTLDs should command a specific registry to run
>> it. The Internet should have the best gTLDs run by the best registry
>> operators. Bundling them together probably means acquiring compromises
> that
>> are not in the best interest of the Internet.

> In my mind, if the registry and the TLD are inextricably linked, then we
> actually stand to lose TLDs over time. Is it such a bad thing to request
> such a separation?

Most certainly there are drawbacks to it, and they have been pointed
out by others on here.  And there is quite simply no real
justification for REQUIRING it.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org