RE: [wg-c] Eureka?

I once listened to my partner and CTO, a Ph.D in CS, wrt advertising. He
was so concerned that we don't flood the servers with new customer that
he strongly held the view that we should only advertise minimally, in a
targeted fashion. Counter to my own better experience, we acted on his
opinion. The response rate was, predictably, zero. The lesson learned,
Engineering staff have no clue and optimistically over-estimate, market
particular experiment.

I submit, if we open up the root to thousands of TLDs, with no
restrictions whatsoever, that we will be lucky to even get ONE
additional TLD registry out of it, not counting CORE. I submit that
additional TLDs, from NSI, is not what we want. What we want is new TLD
registries, in competition with NSI. I would dearly love to see at least
three new TLD registries, as well as a root registry to manage them.
Initially, I would restrict each registry to a single TLD, until they
have met existance proofs of continued business operations (one year of
profitability, or non-negative cash-flow).

This argument, wrt new gTLDs, is somewhat of a red-herring. The direct
issue is new registries. Only then, do we address the quantity of gTLDs.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, CEO
Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
http://www.mhsc.com/
mailto://rmeyer@mhsc.com