Re: [wg-c] Re: IP/TM Concerns & New GTLDs

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 01:38:49PM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
[...]
> There is *no* operational reason for concern about TLDs when we are
in the range of 100-500.
> None.

The fallacy of the "vast overgeneralization"...

The operation of new gTLDs clearly involves a number of completely
new technical activities -- the difficulties that NSI has had in
bringing their shared registry system online is completely
illustrative of that.  Confusing the pre-ICANN addition of ccTLDs
with the addition of new gTLDs under the current management scheme is
a gross blunder.

But even so, I should have been clearer -- I was using "operational"
in a general sense, not a strict technical sense.  In particular, the
operation of new dispute resolution mechanisms is *the* primary
operational concern.  This DR system is *totally* untried, and its
operation under with even *one* gTLD is unknown.  Given the
importance of the DRP in this whole process, adding 100 new gTLDs all
at once would be a highly irresponsible thing to do.

But the DRP is not the only new system that is being stressed here.
The whole ICANN regulatory structure is brand new.

Frankly, it amazes me that we even discuss this.  Even the slightest
hint of common sense should be urging caution in these matters.