Re: [wg-c] Retraction of previous proposal

At 08:36 30-07-99 -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:

>If you are already assuming that people WILL register infringing SLDs,
>and you're going to insist on complaining about the cost of recovery
>after the fact, then I suggest you spend the $70, or whatever the fee
>is, per SLD and buy yourselves the ones that directly infringe.

Dear Mark:

IMO, the idea of creating new gTLDs is to increase the names space.  If the
existing holders of less well known Trademarks are encouraged to stake out
more territory, what has been gained?

What about the "United" this and that?

I think it best to let WIPO decide whether a name meets the TRIPS standards
for "Famous Trademark".  And, if it does, have it preemptively excluded
from registration by anyone.

Someone with a good case for overriding the exclusion, should then be
permitted, after the fact, to petition to have it opened for his/her/its
legitimate use.

Regards, BobC

"A hog seldom dies a natural death."
Ulric B. Bray