Re: [wg-c] Re: IP/TM Concerns & New GTLDs

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 10:24:24PM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> Let me dispose of the silly and diversionary arguments so that we
can get to the real ones.

> Myth 1: A large number of new TLDs must be taken off the table
> because it is not politically feasible.
>
> Reality: ICANN does not need political approval or support from any
> external entity to add new gTLDs to the root. It was explicitly
> given the authority to make that decision by the White Paper.

No, it wasn't.  The WP is a policy document, not legal authority for
ICANN.  ICANN's actual "power" in this matter comes from the MoU with
the USG, not the white paper.  The USG still holds the keys to root
zone, not ICANN.

[various other mythical myths deleted]