Re: IP/TM Concerns & New GTLDs (was:Re: [wg-c] Who should vote for new gTLDs)

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 01:58:05PM -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
[...]
> What I don't understand is the difference it makes if it's 1 or 100
> new TLDs.  They're all in the same root.  They're all more or less
> searchable.  And putting a DRP in place that was agreed to by the
> TM/IP interests says to me that the TMP/IP interests are satisfied
> with the DRP.

Domain names are reachable from the same root.  Contact information
is not.  If there are 100 new gTLDs and they are all served from the
same registry, then you might be right (though there are issues
there as well).  But if you have 100 different registries trying to
differentiate themselves competitively, the difficulty of finding
contact information goes up tremendously.

One also has to be concerned about how it will be possible, from a
practical standpoint, for a nearly broke ICANN to enforce uniform TM
policy with 100 new registries...