Re: [wg-c] Re: Importance of the Registry

One the whole a good analysis, but it lacks a punch line. Which of the three
alternatives do you support? I interpret what you wrote as an argument for alternative
C below:

Jonathan Weinberg wrote:

> A. All registries are non-profit and shared.
> B.  Some registries are non-profit and others for-profit, but an ICANN rule
> requires all to be shared.
> C. Some registries are non-profit and others for-profit, and ICANN has no
> rule regarding sharing.

In other words, you said that there are several plausible conditions, such as    --a
small-scale registry
    --a limited purpose registry
When compulsory sharing would not make sense.

You also pointed out that sharing does not necessarily limit the monopoly power of a
dominant registry, and that there are competitive constraints on registries without
market power, regardless of whether they are shared or not.

Therefore, sharing should not be mandated by rule.

Is this your position?

--
m i l t o n   m u e l l e r // m u e l l e r @ s y r . e d u
syracuse university          http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/