Re: [wg-c] Re: Importance of the Registry

I strongly agree with your points regarding question 2.

With regard to question 1, I do not agree with your conclusion that ALL
registires, with a noted "exception," should only support competitive
registrars.

I think what you refer to as an "exception" should be more fairly
labeled an "alternative basis" for the establishment of a gTLD.

It may be that the "value-added" TLDs could become the most popular
basis for establishing a gTLD. (That issue has not been
decided...although it is true that the effect of numerous valu-added
TLDs could cut against the benefits of a SRS, we are ealing with
unknowns, here). Consequently, I am more comfortable with a mix of
competitive AND value-added registrars, where the value-added registrar
need not rebut a presumption (in the eyes of ICANN - I suppose) that the
registrar's existence is ostensibly unsupportable.

--

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law