RE: [wg-c] I/O Design Initiates Legal Proceedings against CORE

Hypothetical: (If one of the CORE TLDs are selected)

Why not allow CORE to keep the IP rights to the registry and require them by
contract to assign those rights to ICANN should their relationship with
ICANN terminate.

This would protect CORE should any dispute develop while they are a
registry.  It will also prevent another organization from trademarking the
TLD for that duration.

I am not a member of CORE (nor do I necessarily agree with some of their
tactics here), but I am a trademark attorney and I do understand some of the
rationale for applying for a trademark for their TLDs.

However, once the relationship is terminated with ICANN, it should be
mandated by contract that CORE assign the IP rights (along with the
databases etc...) to ICANN.

Is this a workable solution?

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Steptoe & Johnson LLP