RE: [wg-c] There is no "consensus"

A couple of observations on the nub of this corner of the debate:

1) Any generic TLD which is reserved to a single registrar/registry is a de
facto monopoly and will not satisfy competition law in some parts of the
world. Exclusive commercial registries may be an option but perhaps not an
advisable one, so lets not pretend they are.
2) Patent offices are not a good model for this analysis; a single (=
generic)  technological or scientific idea has to be registered in many
territorial domains to achieve global rights.

Regards

John C Lewis
Manager - International Organisations Europe
BT delegate ETNO Executive Board
BT delegate EURODATA Foundation Board
Tel: +44 (0) 1442 295258 Mob: +44 (0) 802 218271