Re: [wg-c] There is no "consensus"

On 20 Jul 99, at 12:04, Milton Mueller wrote:

> It seems obvious to me that a company that sets up the software required to accept
> registrations from intermediaries (registrars) could also easily accept
> registrations from end users themselves. Thus, it is the registry that is the basic
> service provider.

With all respect, I would warn from a system in which registry sells to
registrar and end-user. That would cause a lot of implications (marketing,
service). We have (at the moment) such a system in germany (not exactly but in
general).
I would consider that not a stable and robuste system, the registry in
competition with his costumers the registrars....

[...]
> Incidentally, isn't the annual cost for a domain name registration in dot UK, a
> shared registry, MORE than NSI's evil, monopolistic $35 per year? I look forward to
> your spin on that one, Kent.

my name is not Kent, but I would like to remark that taking one example is not
good for general assumtions. BTW in germany a domain costs 6 USD first year and
3 USD the renewal... :-)), but as I said, we should not generalise that...
siegfried