Re: [wg-c] Geographically allocated names

On 18 July 1999, Milton Mueller <mueller@syr.edu> wrote:

>One way to give the creation of new TLDs a more international flavor
>is to use the world regions to allow registries from each region to
>define and operate a certain number of names.

This is an excellent proposal.  To take it a bit further, I'd propose that
there be some mechanism in place that would require residency or some other
means of geographically limiting the purchase of SLDs in these new TLDs.

In doing so, we'd then have a machanism that would at least limit the
hordes of first-come, first-served speculators who would snatch up the
namespace before the regions' own residents had a chance to participate.

--
Mark C. Langston	     			Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org				     http://www.idno.org