Re: [wg-c] There is no "consensus"

> Everyone else seems to be content to restate their own pre-ordained
position
> again and again, perhaps based on the totally illusory idea that the
> differences that have animated the warring camps of the past four years
are
> suddenly going to go away.

In 1995, Jon Postel proposed just adding new TLDs. That sounded good.

In 1996, he came out with a draft that had problems, and I spent the better
part of 8 months working on it with him and the newdom "working group."
It was scrapped.

The IAHC came into being, and I spent 6 months workign with them,
compromising at every turn, and got a horrible result.

And it was scrapped.

I spent months working on the green paper comments, and then on
the white paper comments. I flew to points all over the world with the
IFWP, making compromise after compromise, and finally coming to
a resolution that was almost workable.

The final meeting was scrapped.

Now we have ICANN, and I've even participated in that forum,
making more compromises.

Frankly, it looks like it's going to be scrapped.

Pardon the hell out of my cynacism, but I've been at this for over
4 years now.

Enough.

I've got a position that's very flexible. Unless you're coming to
me and telling me that I have to be prepared to give up my
intellectual property (and, in some cases, denying outright
that I even have any) in order to reach a compromise, I'm
willing to talk and listen and work this out. Unfortunately,
I'm not hearing anyone else willing to compromise.

Scrap that. Sorry, I've played nicely for 4 years now. I
just took off the gloves.

Christopher