Re: [wg-c] Re: [wg-c-1] WORK: Question #1 New GTLDs

Dave Maher <dwmaher@ibm.net> wrote 07/14/99 04:14PM >>>
>At 09:13 AM 7/14/99 -0400, Kevin J. Connolly wrote:
>[clip]
>>If CORE establishes a robust and fair set of criteria for new members, then

>Please see:
>http://www.corenic.org/press_releases/july15.htm
>for the info on CORE accepting new members

I am familiar with those criteria.  Many people believe that the barriers to entry established by those criteria were and are artificially high.  I believe that CORE would be a more palatable guardian of the Internet if its membership recognizes that the money spent to date to create the SRS, fund its secretariat, and reimburse POC is just that:  money spent.  Trying to recover it back from people who jump on the bandwagon now will simply diminish the willingness of the Internet Community to entrust CORE with one or more registries.

I am not saying that CORE should give every Tom, Dick and Harry a completely free ride on its expenditures to date.  But I don't think I'm alone when I say that the criteria in the press release you've referenced do not pass the blush test.  There are other ways to prevent free riding than those embodied in that press release, methods that do not reek of anticompetitive intent as much as the present barriers.

Kevin J. Connolly
<As usual, please disregard the silly trailer>

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com