[wg-c] Re: [wg-c-1] First question

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 09:54:42AM +0200, Eva Frölich wrote:
> At 22:56 1999-07-09 +0200, Javier SOLA wrote:
> >
> >Should there be new gTLDs?
>
> This is the first question to focus on. If the answer to this question is
> Yes then a lot of other questions arises (some of them already mentionend
> in the mails on this list).
>
> My guess is that we who are participating within this drafting committee
> have our own reasons to say Yes or No to the question above and therefore
> it is urgenetly important to get the answer in a neutral way.

It is not necessary for the WG to arrive at a "Yes or No" result.
The founding fathers of the DNSO, in their infinite wisdom and deep
understanding of human nature (humor alert, for the humor impaired),
realized that there were issues about which no consensus was ever
likely, but for which timely decisions would be necessary.  Under
those circumstances our job is to explore and document the
differences.

I think that, with a couple of exceptions, there is fairly strong
consensus among those present on this list that new gTLDs are
desirable.  We can simply note that the exceptions exist, and why,
and leave it at that.  I suggest that in cases where a strong
difference of opinion that those with the different opinions be
charged with writing a "minority report" which can either be
incorporated in the body of the WG report, or attached as an
appendix.

[...]
> My suggestion is therfore to focus on how to find out a neutral way to
> provide an answer to the question above. One-way of doing it could be to go
> out in a worl-wide hearing, adressing world-wide organisations as well as
> national organisations. To adress national organisations could provide us
> with information if there is any geographical diversity in this question.

World-wide hearings have certain practical difficulties.