[wg-c-1] Re: [wg-c] WG Chairs

Ivan Pope wrote:

> I am already amazed that the Names Council can just nominate a Chairman for
> a working group. How did it nominate Javier?

The level of amateurism that is revealed here is truly amazing, for what is
supposed to be an international policy making body.

Why do we need a "chair" selected by the NC at all? How was this "Chair"
selected? What authority does this "chair" status confer? What are we supposed
to do with *two* chairs?

I reject categorically the notion that the pNC has any business telling this WG
who its chair is, without a public meeting and a vote. Strictly speaking there
is no "Names Council" yet, there is a provisional NC and most of its members
have not been elected yet.

> The wider range of people we have here, the better. The more people who just
> run working businesses, rather than who have spent years in POC/CORE etc

Does anyone in POC/CORE understand what it means to work with other groups and
to try to find consensus? Do they understand that further domination of the
process by this small faction is a continuing threat to the legitimacy of ICANN?

Do they understand the implications of the Department of Commerce's recent order
to ICANN to open up its meetings and the elect its new board members before
making any more substantive policy decisions? Does everyone here have any idea
just how precarious ICANN's position is in Washington DC, right now?