[wg-b] Re: Reverse hijacking by the big guy against the smallbusinessperson.

Dear Bob,
Thank you for your message.
The facts that you recount constitute a disturbing story.  I do not believe that there is any recourse for your friend under the UDRP, which was conceived as a procedure against deliberate, bad faith cybersquatting in violation of trademark rights, rather than as a means of defence against harassment of legitimate domain name registrants.
One possible way of assisting those placed in the position of your friend is through insurance.  If insurance were available to those who register domain names in good faith against litigation, the playing field could be made a much more even one.
I look forward to seeing you in Yokohama.
Best regards,
Francis

Francis Gurry
Assistant Director General and Legal Counsel
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
Geneva

Tel:  41-22 338 9428
Fax:  41-22 733 3168
E-mail:  francis.gurry@wipo.int