RE: [wg-b] RE: opportunity to pre-empt, or license to infringe?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Judith Oppenheimer wrote:
> I replied that cybersquatting involves infringement of trademark rights and
> is actionable.*
>
> But speculation is legal and legitimate activity.  Trademark owners have no
> legal right to infringe on speculators' activity.

   I work with a number of non-profit organizations that have never
registered a trademark, and can't get the domains that they would like
because the domains are held by speculators .  I personally would like
to see policies that limit speculation on domain names, which is not a
value added activity for society, in my opinion.

  Of course, this is made much worse by the artificial restriction on
the name space.  Apparently all 3 letter .com names are already gone.
I don't know where this stands for .org, but I can't get any of the 3
letter .org addresses I want (starting with cpt.org).

   Jamie

James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
P.O. Box 19367        | http://www.cptech.org
Washington, DC 20036  | love@cptech.org
Voice 202/387-8030    | Fax 202/234-5176