From: Michael D. Palage [mailto:mpalage@infonetworks.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 1999 9:48 PM
To: Judith Oppenheimer
Subject: Request

Judith I am sending this request to you personally and not through the list.
I understand the issues that you may have with the entire ICANN process but
it is not the focal point of this group.

Our focal point must remain what protection if any do famous trademarks
have.

Thanks for your participation to date and I welcome your future comments on
the issues before us. I encourage you to raise your concerns in the
appropriate ICANN mailing list.

Mike
-----------

So it would seem that Michael Palage himself confirms Ellen's points noted
below that "the charter of Working Group B was to focus on famous and
well-known marks"

and that

"a recommendation that goes beyond the group's charter to focus only on
famous marks [could] be considered as an unsubstantive solution..."

By what authority did Mr. Palage abandon Working Group B's charter of "what
protection if any do famous trademarks have"?

I'd also like to know the foundation for The [so-called] Report of Working
Group B's assertion that "The Sunrise Proposal allowing pre-registration for
all Trademarks now has strong support in the registrar communities..."

Timothy Denton, BA, BCL, Telecom and Internet Law and Policy, says, "There
is no evidence that the registrars agree with the supposed proposal. They
have not formally been consulted."

Registrar TUCOWS/OpenSRS' comments with the DNSO state "...The IPC's
contentions that trade mark holders are owed a special set of privileges
regarding domain names, different from and superior to those worked out in
national legislatures, is not something that other users of the Internet
need to accept. Moreover, it is unnecessary. The fastest way to eradicate
the problem that the IPC pretends to solve is to have a rapid, large
expansion of domain names... This most recent proposal from the IPC must be
stopped. If it stands, the rules for the average person as it relates to
domain name registration will change drastically and for the worse."

Similarly, I'd like to know the foundation for The [so-called] Report of
Working Group B's assertion that "Some members of the ... Small Business
Communities also have expressed support for this Proposal."

Which members?

Certainly not the U.S. Small Business Administration's Office of Advocacy,
which says "the sunrise provision allowing early registration by trademark
holders is not grounded in law... It is also overly-broad and will impact
entities who aren't infringing the mark, as well as giving preferential
treatment to one class of commercial entities over another...", and
concludes adamantly, "the current "modified sunrise proposal" would have a
detrimental impact on small business and should not be adopted."

Judith Oppenheimer
Member, Working Group-B

800 & Dot Com News, Intelligence, Consulting – FREE Daily HeadsUp Headlines.
"...superb real-time source..." –– "...invaluable..." ––
"...indispensable..."
http://ICBTollFree.com –– http://1800TheExpert.com ––  (U.S.) 1 800 The
Expert
Judith Oppenheimer –– mailto:joppenheimer@icbtollfree.com ––  +1 212