Re: [wg-b] Revised IPC Proposal

A lot of conflicts, indeed.  According to the USPTO alone, there were
901,805 active trademark certifications as of September 30, 1998 and
approximately 90,000 additional trademarks issued in 1999.

Multiply that times 20 potential set aside names per mark in the IPC
sunrise proposal, and were talking about a potential for nearly 20 million
names for the U.S. alone (although many of these marks are exact matches
but there's no discussion about multiple owners of identical marks will be
handled).

Any estimates on how many additional marks have issued worldwide?

To put into context this IPC set aside proposal, the .COM zone file
currently contains approximately 12.25 million names.

While I am not unsympathetic to those who have fanciful, distinctive marks,
this IPC sunrise proposal is a non-starter.

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

>Among a number of other reactions of the type "this is just wrong":
>
>What's the conflict resolution mechanism during the sunrise period?
>
>All the world's trademarks times 20 is a *lot* of conflicts.
>
>                    Harald
>--
>Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
>Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

Ellen Rony                    //          http://www.domainhandbook.com
Co-author                  *="  ____ /            erony@marin.k12.ca.us
The Domain Name Handbook      \     )                  +1  415.435.5010
                              //   \\             "Carpe canine"

          The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.