Re: [wg-b] famous names

It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that law suits
regarding the inclusion of new registries in the root were rejected on
the grounds that NSI was a government contractor.  If ICANN is
successful in ending its government contract, what would be the basis
for preventing a non-profit trade association of used car dealers from
claiming they should have .usedcars in the root?  Would there be grounds
for an antitrust suit against ICANN?   Could ICANN really hide behind
the trademark constituency and say "they won't let us open the root?"

    Jamie

James Love, Director           | http://www.cptech.org
Consumer Project on Technology | mailto:love@cptech.org
P.O. Box 19367                 | voice: 1.202.387.8030
Washington, DC 20036           | fax:   1.202.234.5176