RE: [wg-b] Position Papers

As a preliminary matter, I note that the first paragraph of my initial
remarks were omitted from the version that was distributed. The first
paragraph read:

"As others have pointed out, the non-commercial proposal would not prevent
the misleading use of famous marks in domain names. The non-commercial
proposal states that rules should be established to resolve conflicts
between domain name disputants. One factor such rules would have to take
into consideration would be whether the domain name over which there is a
dispute is a recognized trade designation and how well known it is.
Therefore, the non-commercial proposal begs the very question wg-b is to
address."

I do not have an immediate answer to what happens to
nabisco-labor-abuse.com. Such a domain name requires balancing the free
speech issue against the cost of deception and mistake. Most likely a court
will ultimately decide the issue, if for no reason other than I doubt we
will come to agreement on the matter. One would have to keep in mind that
nothing prevents the use of Nabisco's name in the course of discussion on a
website. How much speech is stifled by deleting such domain names from the
domain space, and is that price justified by avoiding the possibility of
deception/mistake? We would probably disagree. However, in the case of
nabisco.com, the outcome is quite apparent, I believe.

Many once famous marks have become generic through public misuse and the
failure of trademark holders to counteract that misuse. Escalator was once a
trademark but fell into the generic abyss because its owner failed to
protect the mark. Many years ago Nabisco lost its rights to "Shredded Wheat"
because that is how the public came to identify the product. "Murphy Bed"
almost met that fate, but was rescued by a court and the term's owner at the
last minute. Kimberly-Clark, the owner of the Kleenex trademark frequently
advertises the fact that Kleenex is a trademark and not a generic term to
prevent the mark from becoming generic. Nabisco does the same with Oreo, and
many corporate trademark owners follow suit. The risk that one's famous mark
will become generic through public misuse is one reason that famous mark
holders are sensitive about the unauthorized use of their brand names.

Steve