Re: [wg-b] How would .fame work?

>I invite all of those who have endorse the non-com paper to explain how a
>TLD for famous markss (.fame is the example one poster gave) would work.

Fair question.

>Amazon.com becomes famous and then switches over to amazon.fame?
>so people know to look only to amazon.fame?

Amazon.com is perhaps not the best example, because it has branded .com as
an integral part of its name.  I imagine if the bookseller first met the
criteria of famosity, then it would be allowed to register in .FAME or .FAM
or .TMK or whatever the TLD reserved for famous marks is called.  But I do
not believe that  it would or should give up its .COM registration, and I
don't think the two registrations should should be mutually exclusive.

Didn't the WIPO Report say that there are perhaps only 1,000 marks that
could be considered famous.  So prudence suggests that they have their own
elite little TLD in cyberspace. In time, people looking for well-known
brands might expect to find them in the .FAME TLD, if not also in .COM.

I think the greater concern is not whether the corporations would use .COM
and/or .FAME but how we will avoid "creeping famosity".  Will a company
that gets x million hits a month on its website be able to claim it is
famous?  Will a company that makes $xmillion in sales in x countries be
able to assert that it is famous?  If a hotel hosts an international
meeting of significant import, does that make it famous?  If a mark becomes
so-o familiar and famous that it loses its distinctiveness and becomes
generic, what then?

And what happens if there are multiple trademark identical registrations
and more than one of them is determined to be famous?  Whose famosity
prevails?

>and they would never think that any other amazon.xxx was associated with
>Amzaon?
>
>so third parties would never register amazon.xxx to sell books?
>
>Please flesh out the proposal.

Ellen Rony                         ____             The Domain Name Handbook
Co-author		       ^..^     )6     http://www.domainhandbook.com
+1 (415) 435-5010    	       (oo) -^--                     ISBN 0879305150
Tiburon, CA                        W   W               erony@marin.k12.ca.us
	   DOT COM is the Pig Latin of the Information Age