[Fwd: [wg-b] US Statutorily Protected Marks]

"Beresford, Lynne" wrote:

> Thanks to "measday" for the pertinent questions. First and foremost, I am
> not representing the USPTO with the statements that I have made.  They are
> my personal views only. To represent the USPTO, I would need to clear every
> message and I have not done that.   I really resisted the impulse to make
> comments on this list because I did not want to have anyone think that the
> PTO was participating but I thought that some of the background information
> I could supply might help further the debate.
>
> As to the protection of well-known marks under 6bis of Paris and Article 16
> of the TRIPs Agreement, the U.S. has met it requirements under Paris and
> TRIPs e.g. the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board protected the mark "Cognac"
> as a well-known unregistered common-law certification mark.  In general, the
> obligation to protect well-known marks is an obligation to protect
> unregistered  marks that are well-known in the country where protection is
> sought  There is no obligation, for example, for the U.S. to protect a mark
> that is well known in Japan if it is not well known in the United States.
>
> Most industrialized countries belong to the Paris Convention and provide
> protection to well-known marks.  They do so on the same basis as the U.S.
> That is, each country protects a mark that is well-known within the country
> even if it is not registered.

begin:vcard
n:Measday;Mark
tel;cell:0044370947420
tel;fax:0033450209492
tel;work:0033450209492
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.josmarian.ch
org:Josmarian SA
version:2.1
email;internet:measday@josmarian.ch
title:Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;pa Reich & Zen-Ruffinen=0D=0A72 bd St Georges=0D=0A=0D=0A;Geneva;;CH-1205;Switzerland
fn:Mark Measday
end:vcard