Re: [wg-b] Revised IPC Proposal

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 01:32:51PM -0400, Michael D. Palage wrote:
> Mikki, I was apprised by the IPC that they were working on a comprise of the
> Registrar Sunrise proposal following the Cairo meetings. I did not have
> their approved document in my possession until this morning. The discussion
> which I have had with Eric Menge at the SBA involved the different Sunrise
> proposal that were circulating, i.e. Sunrise with a list and Sunrise
> without.  I went over these proposals on Monday's teleconference.
>
> I am required to have a report submitted to the NC for their teleconference
> this Tuesday. Therefore, delaying the report does not seem to be a viable
> option, unless you can get authority from the NC to delay the report. That
> is why I intend to include a disclaimer that this latest IPC has not had
> time for proper discussion.

With all due respect, Michael, the last one didn't get proper
discussion on the list either.  A whole lot of product has been
generated in the past few months, and very, very little of it has been
developed, presented, or discussed on this list, which is supposed to
be the vehicle for such things, and the only place where everyone has
a fair chance to participate, and a record of the effort.

It disturbs me greatly that much of what is being presented from this
group, both tomorrow and in Cairo (and to a lesser extent in Santiago)
is consistently developed off-list, and is consistently presented as
WG-B product.

Even with the disclaimer, it's still disingenuous.

I will note that the last time this issue came up, I requested both
publically on this list and in mail to the Names Council Secretariat
that this be officially investigated.  Nothing has occurred.

I would like it noted in the report (and I think I conveyed this in my
position statement to you, Michael) that I object in the strongest
possible terms to the work being carried out in this manner.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org