Re: [wg-b] Why Lawyers Shouldn't Run the Internet

THE UNDERSIGNED DIRECTS THAT THE DOMAIN NAME  "HEWLITTPACKARD.COM"
REGISTERED BY RESPONDENT CUPCAKE CITY (HEWLITTPACKARD - DOM) BE CANCELLED
AND TRANSFERRED TO COMPLAINANT HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY.

DATED:  March 31, 2000 by Judge Carolyn Marks Johnson (Ret.),

The snafu regarding being both canceled and transferred notwithstanding,
there is another message here. Cupcake City didn't even bother to respond.
The registration of hewlittpackard.com was indefensible and they knew it.
Why would they register it? Possibility #1: Hit and run profits. Pretending
to be Hewlett Packard, perhaps actually taking orders from consumers--out
and out fraud. Possibility #2: Diverting traffic to (usually) a porn site
whose revenue model is based on page views. Once you've been diverted
windows are automatically spawned sometimes sending you into a loop. The
name "Cupcake City" makes one suspects it would be #2. Again, it is hit and
run. Do it until you get caught. As in the Oreo example and Nasa.com and
countless others.

I guess you can't throw out the baby with the bath water. You have to
protect the first amendment rights of the dross if you want to protect the
rights of those who have legitimate purpose, e.g., using parody to make a
political statement.

I STILL think notification is the answer.

"may you live in interesting times."