[wg-b] Re: Fw: Unfamous Names...

Jim,

Very interesting suggestion. However, it seems both mathematical and
infinite to establish the list of unfamous names. As they are not
inherently limited by length, it would seem to be a never-ending list.

The list suggested to be worked on is merely a list of names already in
use by national bodies or likely to be accepted under the Paris Convention
rules (i.e. the basic reciprocal recognition tests). Obviously the
sophistications of later legislation/TRIPs etc. complicates the matter and
I am have no idea how US jurisdiction deals with the contradictions
between the international treaty obligations it has enforced and domestic
legislation, but it would seem appropriate to start with something that
might achieve international consensus.

I don't see how or why US domestic law can be used to regulate the
obligations of registrars worldwide, but I am waiting for some explanation
from Mr. Berryhill on that score.

In conclusion, the more the merrier. I'd still like an account from Harald
as to what happened in the official WIPO process, though, which might
prevent any waste of time.

MM

--

Mark Measday

Josmarian SA measday@josmarian.ch/measday@ibm.net
UK tel/fax: 0044.1273.47.48.94
French tel/fax: 0033.450.20.94.92

'Tragedy inheres in all choice' : Isaiah Berlin