RE: [wg-b] WG-B Deadline

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Michael D. Palage wrote:
> I know the Non-Commercial Constituency has fought a hard valid fight against
> the creation of a Universally Famous Trademark list. I have had this
> discussion with Michael Froomkin, Kathy Kleiman, Mikki Barry, Milton Muller
> and others and I genuinely share many of your concerns. However, based upon
> what I saw in Cairo, the adoption of the guidelines by the WIPO standing
> committee last November, and the general global push for enhanced protection
> for famous trademark,  I believe it is no longer a question of whether WIPO
> will create the list, BUT at who's request, when and with what safeguards in
> connection with the domain name system.

    Michael.  Next friday the AFL-CIO, the Teamsters, CWA, AFSCME, and
several other unions will meet in Washington, DC to discuss the .union
TLD.

    Are you proposing that .union cannot be used with a famous
trademark?    Could ibm block the use of ibm.union, or nike block the
use of nike.union.

   As indicated in my previous missive to this list, and as raised in
Cario in countless discussions, including the meetings of working groups
B and C, this is an area were groups other than the trademark owner have
a legitimate interest in using a famous name with a TLD.

    Jamie

James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
P.O. Box 19367        | http://www.cptech.org
Washington, DC 20036  | love@cptech.org
Voice 202/387-8030    | Fax 202/234-5176