RE: [wg-b] Second Circuit on First Amendment Analysis of Domain Names

On the issue of a blanket exclusion of [famous mark].[tld]s, wg-b appears
split along the following lines:

1. Those opposed to such an exclusion believe that it (a) raises an
appreciable first amendment problem, and/or (b) is unworkable because the
concept of "famous mark" is not well-defined.

2. Those in favor of such an exclusion believe that there are no free speech
or definitional problems, or at least that such problems are manageable and
are far outweighed by the benefits of a famous mark exclusionary rule.

Is this a fair summary?

Steve Hartman