Re: [wg-b] Second Circuit on First Amendment Analysis of Domain Names

Martin:
The Court stated clearly and explicitly that a "context-sensitive" analysis of a
variety of factors must be done to determine whether free speech rights are
involved. They wrote an entire paragraph about what should be analyzed in a
"particularistic" way.

You are now attempting to "spin" that decision by saying that it can be twisted
and worried and wrangled to lend support to the notion of mechanical exclusions
that are applied across the board without any case-specific anlaysis.

I think you are wrong. But more importantly, I don't understand what you expect to
accomplish on this list by "spinning" the interpretation of an American court
decision. This working group is in no way bound by the court's interpretation, as
much as I happen to like it in this case.

If ICANN enacts exclusions and they are challenged on first amendment grounds, you
can put forward your tortuous interpretation of the appeals court decision. As
they say, "tell it to the judge." Until then, spare us.