RE: [wg-b] RE: [wg-c] IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root

> Harald Tveit Alvestrand
> Sent: Saturday, December 18, 1999 12:10 PM
>
> At 20:07 17.12.99 -0800, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> If MHSC adds a domain to their "roots", and another competitor adds a
> domain to their "root" with the same name but different
> content, the result
> is architecturally unsound - or to put it another way: It
> does not work.

Actually, they become competitive systems. However, I am inclined to agree
that it is an undesireable situation. This level of competition would be
disruptive. However, if the various root-systems cooperate this need not
happen. This is the goal of SuperRoot consortium <www.superroot.com> and the
concept behind the multi-part root.

> >I am preparing a counter to Brian's paper wherein I will go
> into details.
>
> (I'm an IAB member, in case anyone didn't notice. It's the
> IAB's paper.)

I apologize, but some on the WG-C list have maintained that the paper was
Brian's personal view. Of course, that could be just a case of denial.
Clearly, since Brian's name is on the paper and in the face of more
he-said/they-said bickering, I called it Brian's paper.

Also, don't worry, I won't hold your participation in the IAB against you
<grin>.

> (Just in case anyone didn't know - IAB is the Internet
> Architecture Board,
> part of the management structure of the Internet Engineering
> Task Force - IETF)

Yes, and I've disagreed with the IAB before now. As a practicing Internet
and Information Systems Architect, I feel that I have a right to do so. As
well as the credentials.

http://mhsc.com/~rmeyer/resume/