Re: [wg-b] Noncommercial protections for words

Hmm, I think you are missing my point as well, Mike?
I am trying to say that the statutes that protect Smokey Bear and Olympics
are NOT the statutes we should be using as a basis for the protection of
famous marks.  These statutes are not trademark law -- the involvement the
registration of certain ** noncommercial ** words for public policy reasons.
These public policy reasons are distinct and different (and provide a
protection far broader) than trademark protection -- for basic or famous
marks.

If this group goes too broad, we will lose our mandate, our support and our
intent.  The cybersquatting/UDRP looked at protection for trademarks
(commercial marks);' the WIPO report looked at protection for famous marks
(as commercial marks).  If we want any type of mandate in what we are doing,
this group must stay within the scope of previous work and deal with
commercial protection of famous marks.

Many of the noncommercial organizations with "famous marks" have trademarks
-- and it is the trademark arena we have been delegated.

kathy kleiman

> However, I believe you missed the point I was trying to raise. In your
>  original e-mail you stated:
>
>  [KK:] I am surprised to find this Working Group moving forward with
researching
>  protection for NONCOMMERCIAL ORGANIZATIONS such as Federal Parks and
Veteran