Re: [wg-b] US Statutorily Protected Marks

Ms Beresford, Lynne,

It might elucidate (i) where the participants on this list could best concentrate their efforts and (ii) what doesn't need to be done again as it didn't work last time, were you able to provide further illumination on the following areas:

(a) From your point of view (or that of the PTO), what were the structural flaws in the IAHC proposal with respect to trademark matters? Did these contribute to the derailment of that proposal?

(b) Should one understand from what you say below that it would have been hypothetically ok to register Sony and Hitachi in the US in 1948 as trademarks, say, but this is no longer the case, in the interim they have build their brands to (objectively determinable) famous status? Therefore the determination of  status will always be de facto, rather than de jure? That any putative list of famous service or trademarks will require continual revision and can only be predictive rather than authoritative?

Is the principle of mutual reciprocal recognition, found in 6bis, and extended in TRIPS, still intellectually appropriate for administering exceptions and exemptions on a global network? Can a case be made that the pragmatic test of 'well-knownness', for which there are complex and differentiated procedures, is too open to abuse, when the mark concerned can become globally famous through use of its (pirated?) domain ad interim?

What overlaps, if any, would you perceive between the work of the WTO IP and ecommerce committees and that of ICANN?

Your clarification is exceedingly useful and thank you for your courteous reply, although I did wonder about my parenthetic decapitation and decapitalization.

Yours sincerely,

MM

"Beresford, Lynne" wrote:

Thanks to "measday" for the pertinent questions. First and foremost, I am
not representing the USPTO with the statements that I have made.  They are
my personal views only. To represent the USPTO, I would need to clear every
message and I have not done that.   I really resisted the impulse to make
comments on this list because I did not want to have anyone think that the
PTO was participating but I thought that some of the background information
I could supply might help further the debate.

As to the protection of well-known marks under 6bis of Paris and Article 16
of the TRIPs Agreement, the U.S. has met it requirements under Paris and
TRIPs e.g. the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board protected the mark "Cognac"
as a well-known unregistered common-law certification mark.  In general, the
obligation to protect well-known marks is an obligation to protect
unregistered  marks that are well-known in the country where protection is
sought  There is no obligation, for example, for the U.S. to protect a mark
that is well known in Japan if it is not well known in the United States.

Most industrialized countries belong to the Paris Convention and provide
protection to well-known marks.  They do so on the same basis as the U.S.
That is, each country protects a mark that is well-known within the country
even if it is not registered.

begin:vcard
n:Measday;Mark
tel;cell:0044370947420
tel;fax:0033450209492
tel;work:0033450209492
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.josmarian.ch
org:Josmarian SA
version:2.1
email;internet:measday@josmarian.ch
title:Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;pa Reich & Zen-Ruffinen=0D=0A72 bd St Georges=0D=0A=0D=0A;Geneva;;CH-1205;Switzerland
fn:Mark Measday
end:vcard