RE: [wg-b] US Statutorily Protected Marks

I am a little confused by your comments Kathryn.  Although I 100% agree with
you that it is our task to "reflect law" and "not make it", I do not know
where the distinction between commercial and non-commercial exists. I
believe our mandate is to protect famous marks - period, no distinction
between famous or commercial. I could be wrong. If you could provide me the
basis for your position I would greatly appreciate it.

It is my personal opinion that the discussion about US statutorily protected
marks actually serves several purposes. First, as Lynne accurately pointed
out:

These marks are protected because the persons responsible for protecting
them were able to convince Congress to provide statutory protection.

This statement reinforces the need for clearly defined objective criteria,
coupled with more flexible subjective criteria, in defining famous marks. In
order to safeguard the "famous trademark process" stakeholders must be able
to make sure that individuals cannot "convince" the panel to grant famous
trademark status to a mark that does not deserve it.

The second benefit of the US statutory discussion is the benefit of seeing
how different bodies, administrative, legislative, etc. deal with protecting
trademarks. I believe that there is no case law, administrative process, or
existing mechanism or safeguard that addresses the problem that we are
facing. Therefore, we should approach the problem with open minds, invite as
many people to participate in the process and see what creative "non-law
making substantive solution" we can arrive at.

I also agree with your statement that what ever process we adopt, it must
withstand judicial scrutiny both in the US and abroad.

In your RFC - 1 comment Kathryn you stated, "Domain Name Rights Coalition
and NetAction believe that this section is appropriate and called for by the
White Paper. While most of the questions are appropriate. we believe the
main question is unasked. On the Internet, what is a famous mark?" Will you
be preparing a report on how to define a famous mark. Could you also provide
me with some additional info on your comments below. I was going to write
you personally, but I figured I will kill two birds with one stone :)

We also request that WIPO expand this section to include questions about the
role of existing treaties and agreements outside of WIPO, including GATT and
WTO treaties, and how famous marks have been defined and limited. These
existing agreements are very important, and WIPO is in a unique position to
collect, review and evaluate them.

If you have access to the relevant portions of these agreements I would
appreciate reviewing them personally. Why do you think these are so
important?

Thanks

Mike