Re: The Fame Claim List -was [wg-b] notification as compromise?

Martys wrote:
>  The primary advantage of immediate notification to the DN owner of the TM
>  owner's claim, is that it can make a more informed decision (and resolve a
>  dispute) before it has sunk money into the name.  The notification to the
>  TM owner is a secondary aspect to this

Alternate approach to help DN holders:
Urge each registrar to provide a link to the Trademark Office database of the
countries it works with most often with a note that domain name holders are
urged to run their proposed domain names through a search to see if they
overlap with existing marks registered to other users in the same line of
commercial goods and services.  To be fair, I would also include a note (to
prevent undue concern) that noncommercial speech is not the subject for
trademark infringement or dilution claims under US (fill in the blank
country) laws.

kathy kleiman