Re: [IFWP] Re: [dnso.discuss] Modifications to ICIIU Guidelines a nd NCDNHC definition

Kent and all,

  I would have to agree with Kents evaluation on the whole here.  This ISOC
is not primarily constituted of commercial members.  However it does
have a number of them which Kent points out here.  That being the
case it cannot adequately or reasonably espouse to be a strictly
non-commercial organization and can not therefore as an organization
be a member of the NCDNHC.  Many of the individual members and
many of it's organizational members could be though...

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 02:27:29AM +0000, William X. Walsh wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > 2) Organizations who predominately represent the interests of
> > commercial organizations. (This excludes the ISOC).
>
> This is false.  ISOC does not by any means "primarily represent the
> interests of commercial organizations".  It has on the order of 200
> organizational members (not all of them commercial), and over 6000
> individual members.  If anything, ISOC should be said to represent
> the interests of individuals.
>
> Here, for example, is a recent message from Don Heath on
> isoc-members-discuss:
>
> >At 08:45 AM 5/27/99 +0200, David Nordfors wrote:
> >>Hi!
> >> I read in a press release from Apple that the ISOC is supporting
> >> humanitarian work in Kosovo. Perhaps somebody has answers or comments
> >> to Anders' questions?
> >
> >Check out http://www.kosovonet.org which ISOC and the Poniecki Foundation
> >are doing.                                                                    >
> >Don
>
> > Commercial interests supporting the ICIIU are doing so for the purpose
> > of trying to present a united front against the ISOC,
>
> This is utter nonsense.
>
> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Do good, and you'll be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894