Re: [IFWP] Re: [IFWP] Re: ICANN Press Communiqué on Berlin MeetingResults

Kent and all,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 11:41:30AM -0400, Bret Fausett wrote:
> > ICANN's press release read:
> > >The constituencies, which will elect the
> > >Names Council to act as the governing body of the Domain Name Supporting
> > >Organisation (DNSO), are the core of the DNSO.
> >
> > For the record, I think a better way of understanding the DNSO is to
> > place the General Assembly at its "core."
>
> Yes.  And this misunderstanding is behind the misguided idea of an
> "Individual Constituency", as well.

  Misguided?  In who's opinion. What support do you quantitatively have
for this sort of statement Kent (AKA Kent "The crispy brain" Crispin')
Hummmm?  None, is the correct answer...

> > While the constituencies collectively may comprise a substantial
> > percentage of the General Assembly, there are many unaffiliated
> > individuals and groups that may only find a place to participate in the
> > General Assembly.
>
> Indeed.  There is an unavoidable "catch all" character to individual
> domain name holders -- they cross all categories, and as such it is
> hard to imagine a constituency that meaningfully deals with that
> diversity.

  How utterly silly and so terribly incorrect on it's face.  BULLHOCKY Kent!

> On the other hand, there are many individuals who may
> not have a personally registered domain who are very interested in
> domain name issues -- do we need a constituency for them, as well?

  The short answer is, Why not!

> The inspiration for the General Assembly was the IETF -- where
> *any interested individual* can participate.  People are hung up on
> representation in the Names Council.

  Certainly they are and hopefully remain so.  People should be very interested

on representation in the Names Council, it is central to DNS issues.

> > Whether a substantive policy proposal should be adopted is measured by
> > the degree of consensus in the General Assembly. This is in keeping with
> > the bottom-up decision-making style that should characterize the DNSO.
>
> Yep.

  Well this is huge change of position for you Kent!

> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Do good, and you'll be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894