Re: Reflections on Singapore

Roberto and all,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Jay,
>
> I read with interest your report.
> Let me point out the couple of points where I don't share your POV.
>
> You wrote:
>
>         <snip>
>
> > Things really got interesting the next day at the open
> > ICANN Board meeting.  What started out as a presentation
> > of the CENTR compromise proposal, quickly devolved into
> > an attempt to accept the BMW draft as the basis for the
> > DNSO.
> >
> Jay, what is, unfortunately, commonly addressed as "the CENTR proposal" is
> in fact a common document, agreed by all participants in the previous day's
> DNSO meeting, and is in fact the "Singapore Draft".

  Depending on who you call the participants, this statement is totally
false as is evident in t he comments sent to the ICANN per their
solicitation of those comments. However it appears quite plain that
the ICANN ignored those comments.  This is not small wonder,
of course....

> The importance of this document has not to be underestimated: for the first
> time (to the best of my memory), delegates coming from different DNS
> religions and with different business affiliations and/or interests agreed
> on a rather wide spectrum of points as a compromise solution.

  I don't recall us being consulted on a potential "Compromise Solution"
before the Singapore meeting that was meaningful to any great extent.
Hence this compromise agreement was engineered strictly for,
and as a "Capture" attempt for a DNSO that the ICANN wanted and
subvertadly worked with DNSO.ORG to create.

> Like for every compromise solution, nobody was 100% satisfied, but I had the
> impression that the sense of achievement was great among all of us at the
> end of the DNSO day.

  You seem to be rather unique in this perspective Roberto.  Nothing new
there however either.  >;)

> Unfortunately, the food fight started again during the ICANN Open Meeting,
> when (few) supporters of the BMW and Paris Drafts returned to praise the
> virtues of their respective original documents vs. the common document, but
> that's life.
>
>         This became clear upon comments made by ICANN Board
>         member Hans Kraaijenbrink, who upon further questions from
>         Fay Howard of CENTR, revealed his affiliation to BMW
>         supporters.
>
> People that were not there could get the wrong impression that Hans
> expressed support to the BMW Draft, which is not what he said.
> He said that ETNO, a company in which Board he is, expressed support to the
> BMW Draft, but he didn't made up his mind.
> As both elements were known (Hans is in the Board of ETNO, and ETNO
> supperted the BMW Draft), I fail to see the relevance of the fact.

  THan you have a near sighted problem that needs considerable
correction.

> > By the end of the day, few knew where the board was
> > going, and we left the fate of the DNSO in their hands
> > to be decided in their closed board meeting scheduled for
> > the next day.
> >
> > Much to my surprise, the board voted to adopt a DNSO
> > very much like the CENTR proposal, *with* a non-commercial
> > domain name constituency.  IMHO, this was a major victory
> > that revealed that this board could make difficult decisions,
> > and that it could be influenced by public opinion and
> > scrutiny.
> >
> I was not surprised at all.
> This comes to the fact I outlined before: the achievement of us all,
> participants to the DNSO process, in coming to a statement of principle
> shared by all, was a fact of an extraordinary relevance, that could not fail
> to catch the attention of the Board.
>
> Regards
> Roberto

Jeffrey A. Williams