Re: [IFWP] Re: California meeting March 18; was Re: Chopped liver no more!

Ken Stubbs wrote:

>why don't you work on substantive issues rather than trying to make a
>mountain out of an anthill..

Interesting tactic.  Discredit both the question and the questioner.

And yes, please let us discuss substantive issues.  Let us start with how
to get ICANN to open its meetings to the public.  Would you like a grey
ribbon (see www.domainhandbook.com/icannt.html), or will you remain
comfortable receiving policies affecting Internet administration from on
high, with no insight into the reasons behind ICANN's decisions, with no
record of how individual board members voted.  Is that sufficiently
substantive for you, Ken, because I feel this issue is critical to any
acceptance of ICANN authority over DNS administration.

What distinguishes my participation on this list from yours and many others
is that there's no golden pot for me at the end of the proverbial rainbow
when decisions are made about new TLDs, registries, registrars.  I have no
vested interest in the outcome of the White Paper process. Rather, I use my
time to help others make INFORMED decisions on issues which you apparently
consider unsubstantive.

Thus, I conclude you found nothing of value in (or never looked at) any of
my DNS work such as:

* the full text, color-coded comparison of the ICANN/BWG/ORSC bylaws
proposals (www.domainhandbook.com/comp-bylaws.html);

* side-by-side comparison of the DNSO.ORG and AIP/ORSC/CENTR DNSO proposals
(www.domainhandbook.com/comp-dnso.html)

* profiles of and links to info about current domain name disputes (40+)
(www.domainhandbook.com/dd.html)

* archive of the IFWP working group reports, participants, media reports
and more  (www.domainhandbook.com/ifwp.html)

* links to media articles (1998 to present) about the domain name system
(not quite current however, due to too much email traffic)
(www.domainhandbook.com/media.html)

* links to Congressional testimony, letters, and proposals
(www.domainhandbook.com/congress.html)

* links to ICANN-related material such as announcements, meeting minutes,
media reports and more (www.domainhandbook.com/icann.html

* extensive glossary of Internet terms  (19 typewritten pages)
(www.domainhandbook.com/gloss.html)

* The Domain Name Handbook, a 645-page compendium resulting from two years
of online research, including a CD-ROM containing 3,676 PDF pages of DNS
resource material

* a panel on October 1, which I organized to discuss the turnover of DNS
administration which was supposed to occur on t hat day.  The panel
included a competent cross-section of perspectives with Gabe Battista (CEO
of NSI then) and yourself, among the group.

* testimony before the first WIPO consultation

* participation on three DNS-related lists.

So, sir, as regards your indictment that I don't work on substantive
issues, I send back at your a virtual Brickbat of the Day.

Furthermore, I wonder how many people on this list would participate as
fully as I do, and would travel to exotic shores as you do, if they didn't
have company, corporate, or association funds to pay their expenses and
travel costs.

Ellen Rony                                                          Co-author
The Domain Name Handbook                        http://www.domainhandbook.com
ISBN 0879305150                *="  ____ /                  +1 (415) 435-5010
erony@marin.k12.ca.us             \     )                         Tiburon, CA
               On the Internet,    //  \\    no one knows you're a dog
"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix."  -- J Danforth
Quayle