RE: [dnso.discuss] Re: [IFWP] Timely decisions

On 13-Feb-99 Kent Crispin wrote:
>  1.  There is a vast disparity between the levels of support
>
>  For the WMB application (In the interests of avoiding possible
>  Intellectual Property entanglements I shall use "WMB" from now on,
>  instead of "BMW" :-)) we have the following submitters:
>
>  ITAA -- 11000 members
>  INTA -- 3200 members, 113 countries
>  EuroISPA -- Largest ISP association in the world
>  ICC -- 7000 members, 63 countries
>  AILPA -- over 10000 members
>  ISOC -- 6000 members, 150 countries
>  WITSA -- International Consortium of organizations
>  ECE -- New European organization just started w/ support of
>       european commission
>  CORE -- 85 registrars, 23 countries
>  POC -- represents 200+ MoU Signatories
>
>  This represents substantial business, user, registry/registry, and
>  general internet organizations.

This is disingenuous at best.

None of these organizations have actually polled their members, so you cannot
possibly tally their members/supporters has having backed this application.

It would be more accurate to say that the leadership of these groups have
committed to supporting this draft.  To imply that their members/supporters
have issued such support is not accurate, and then to compare that level of
support to the Paris Draft support is totally inappropriate.

E-Mail: William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
Date: 13-Feb-99
Time: 13:29:37
"We may well be on our way to a society overrun by hordes
of lawyers, hungry as locusts."
- Chief Justice Warren Burger, US Supreme Court, 1977