From: Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com>
To: domain-policy@open-rsc.org
Cc: John Charles Broomfield <jbroom@manta.outremer.com>,
    domain-policy@lists.internic.net, list@ifwp.org, discuss@dnso.org,
    avc@interport.net
Subject: Re: Draft New Draft
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 20:06:17 -0800

Hey Guys -- It seems terribly clear at this point that since IATLD has
been challenged regarding its claims that IATLD should repeat its quey
and this time be very careful about wording and about exactly what you
are asking for by way of "support", and why you are asking again.

Doing this will be vastly more productive than to continue this
argument, which cannot be resolved without repeating the query.

Cheers...\Stef

>From your message Tue, 09 Feb 1999 12:23:40 -0800 (PST):
}
}
}Mr Broomfield CONTINUES to take things out of context and make them say things
}they never said.
}
}On 09-Feb-99 John Charles Broomfield wrote:
}> > I'm happy to see that you're not interested in spreading FUD, since in
}> > recent days you've accused the IATLD of being a fake, me of having some
}> > economic incentive in promoting and defending the IATLD (why else would the
}> > IATLD stand up for ccTLDs in developing regions?), and me of always getting
}> > my facts wrong.
}> >
}> > It's easy (and a favorite game in these lists) to take a remark out of
}> > context and twist it.  Congrats, you can do it too.
}> > Antony
}>
}>  In the past few days I have battled with you on three blanket subjects
}>  which you launched as a given, and I threw a few questions about them
}>  which at least prove that it's not as clear cut as you said.
}>
}>  -You said that only 2 out of the top 20 ccTLDs had any relationship with
}>  their governments, meaning that government involvement in ccTLDs is very
}>  minor.
}>  I looked up a bunch of "major" ccTLDs and I think it was only Mexico that
}>  had NO relationship with the government.
}
}I read your post on this, and you looked for ANY way you could possibly stretch
}the work "relation with the government."  It was quite obviously an attempt to
}do everything you could do to define a ccTLD's "relation with the government"
}even when they clearly did not exist in a formal way.
}
}>  -You came out in defence of the iaTLD and of its backing by 73 ccTLDs. I
}>  pointed out that this backing was not as clear as it may seem.
}
}No you did not point this out.  You laid a claim (that you unsuccessfully made
}when the IATLD was formed) that .GP's admin contact did not support RFC1591.
}You had to stretch this so far to say that people answer emails by reading only
}the subject, and that the body of the email is "the small print" and not
}expected to be read before someone sends in an answer.
}
}>  -You gave a listing of 5 ccTLDs in a way that seemed to imply that they were
}>  private for-profit systems, and that you had another sixty-something like
}>  them. It was clear that those listed were not as clear-cut for-profit
}>  companies as you made out.
}
}No he didn't.  He listed >>5<< ccTLDs that permit ANYONE globally to process
}registrations.  He NEVER implied that there were private for-profit systems,
}and was mentioning them because you implied that any ccTLD that was doing that
}was being irresponsible.  Antony pointed out that of the 60+ ccTLDs that do
}that, 5 of them were amongst the largest.
}
}>  When you try to back your arguments of government exclusion based on the
}>  "fact" that they are not in general aware/involved anyway, that your system
}>  is backed by a lot of ccTLDs and you argue about how good it is for
}>  registries to be for profit because so many of them are
}>
}>  When you try to back your arguments of government exclusion (based on the
}>  "fact" that they are not in general aware/involved anyway), about how good
}>  it
}>  is for registries to be for profit (because so many of them are), and that
}>  there is wide support by many ccTLDs of these proposals (because of the
}>  iaTLD), then it stats to look to me as if there are unpleasant things
}>  happening. If your arguments can't stand up on their own merits and need to
}>  be backed by not-quite-as-they-seem "facts", then maybe it's because they
}>  CAN'T stand up on their own merit. Dunno.
}
}Actually, it seems as if your criticisms are the one having a hard time
}standing up on their own merit, as they have no basis whatsoever in fact.
}
}I have pointed this out time and time again, and you ignore those arguments,
}choosing only to answer small insignificant parts and snipping the rest from
}your responses.
}
}It says a lot about the veracity of your claims, and about your character, that
}you continue to make these criticisms despite your knowledge that they are
}false.
}
}E-Mail: William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
}Date: 09-Feb-99
}Time: 12:15:47
}"We may well be on our way to a society overrun by hordes
}of lawyers, hungry as locusts."
}- Chief Justice Warren Burger, US Supreme Court, 1977

------- Message 2