Re: Draft New Draft

Hi Antony, (hey, I got it right this time with no "h"! :-) )

	Just one factual point about your message.

> > or the
> > fact that some ccTLDs are managed for profit
>
> I see.  ccTLDs are not to be managed for profit.  Profit is a bad thing.
>
> > in no relation with the
> > country the ISO code belongs to, then I am definitely against.
>
> Better talk to .UK, .DK, .CH, .US, .ZA and about 65 other TLDs then.

You enjoy quoting your facts about how ccTLDs in general are run. Funny how
you seem to screw up on them in general...
As far as ".UK" goes, it's run (as you know) by nominet which is by no means
a "for profit" organisation. I don't think that Switch would take very
kindly to you calling their management of ".CH" as "for profit" either...
I thought that ".US" as a TLD was run for free but that Postel had decided to
introduce some charges on a cost recovery basis (whatever people in third
level domains are doing is besides the point).
Couldn't find info for Denmark other than "DK-Hostmaster is appointed by the
Danish ISP association" (so it's not a self-appointed thing in any case).
As far as ".ZA" goes, from "http://http://www2.frd.ac.za/uninet/zadomains.html"
(...)The .ZA domain space is administered by the Manager of the Uninet
network(...)There is no charge for registration of a top-level .ZA
domain.(...).
It does say on the same page that these rules might change in 1999 with
ISOC-ZA oversight.
Some of the structures under ".za" may well be managed on a for profit basis
(for example ".co.za") but there are a bunch that seem to be free.

Don't get me wrong, I'm *NOT* trying to say that those 5 which you portreyed
are charity organisations, but the way you express it is as if they are just
running a business in a normal for-profit fashion (like NSI), which they are
definately NOT.

Antony, do you have a personal economical stake in the management of any ccTLD?
(no, I'm not trying to throw fud with that question, it's just that it seems
the only reason why you would be trying so desperately to make sure
governments keep their hands off those wonderful profit-makers).

Yours, John Broomfield.