RE: icc comments in text

At 05:57 PM 1/17/99 +0100, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>I agree with you that a flat rate is not a good idea.

I disagree. Flat-rate is the most fair way. Anything else is discriminatory
in one way or another. Also, as in my ISOC membership, you will get
individuals signing up for lowest class membership rather than pay the
"business-rate". I've always viewed stratified price structures as a form
of Robin Hood scheme. "Let's rob from the rich more". As such, they are
inherently distasteful as a means of disrcimination. I have a more
egalitarian view.

>In fact, a small business in the US will be less impacted than a business of
>the same size in Zambia (or is it called Gambia? ;>)  ) by the same
>membership fee.

This is a serious problem and not just in these issues. When someone finds
a solution, maybe we can borrow it <grin>? I suggest not even trying here,
there is enough contention, as is. Personally, I don't think there exists a
solution that that is even close to equitable.

>We discussed this problem in CORE, but were not able to come to a
>satisfactory solution.

Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
                       KISS ... gotta love it!